WALK IN THE SPIRIT - 1
Ephesians 4:30 - Galatians 5:16
This is a vast, but valuable subject to study.We do not purpose
that we will exhaust the subject; but we do hope we will share some
good points to ponder.
Our title is an apostolic commission - - - but we understand
that the Lord inspired the apostle to tell us this morsel of truth.
There are a few things we need to look at in regard to this
statement by Paul:
(1) The "Spirit" mentioned in Galatians 5:16 is the "holy Spirit of God", as
mentioned in Ephesians 4:30. He is the third 'member' of the Godhead, Matthew 28:19.
(2) The Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit, or Spirit is referred to in the masculine
sense, even as the Father and the Son, John 15:26; 16:8, etc.
(3) He indwells the believer, John 14:17.
(4) He will teach, John 14:26; for He is the "Spirit of truth", John 14:17.
(5) He will guide you into all truth, John 16:13.
Having thus seen some characteristics and functions of the Spirit - - - we are
urged to ". . . walk in the Spirit". To do so will be to walk in the truth. But be
warned that there are "many spirits" out there, I John 1:1-6.
Galatians 5:16 tells us one great benefit of the indwelling of the Spirit. If we
"walk in the Spirit" we will thwart the lust of the flesh. Being led of the Spirit
will evidence that we are a child of God, and are able to be obedient to His Truth.
It also results in joy and peace in life; and thus we may influence those about us. DDH
Back To Don Heberly Index 2