THE WAY UP|
Go To Patriotic Index
- When he was 7 years old, his family was forced out of their home on a legal technicality, and he had to work to help support them.
- At age 9, his mother died.
- At 22, he lost his job as a store clerk. He wanted to go to law school, but
his education wasn't good enough.
- At 23, he went into debt to become a partner in a small store.
- At 26, his business partner died, leaving him a huge debt that took years to
- At 28, after courting a girl for four years, he asked her to marry him. She said no.
- At 37, on his third try he was elected to Congress, but two years later, he
failed to be reelected.
- At 41, his four-year-old son died.
- At 45, he ran for the Senate and lost.
- At 47, he failed as the vice-presidential candidate.
- At 49, he ran for the Senate again, and lost.
- At 51, he was elected president of the United States.
- His name was Abraham Lincoln, a man many consider one of the greatest leaders the
country ever had.
Some people get all the breaks!